Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Aw crap.

Okay, I'm always the last to hear about this sort of thing, but this makes me feel all weird and sad.

Seriously.

I have such fond memories of Weekly World News. Of the Alien sightings and Man-Bat and all that sort of thing.

Weekly World News was what taught me, at age five or so, that just because something was black and white and had the word "news" on the cover didn't make it true, and gave me the healthy skepticism I have toward any and all information media to this day.

It was such fun to buy and read and have my ex-roommate look over and go "What the heck are you READING?"

This magazine's three years older than I am, damnit. I feel the last dregs of my childhood coming to an end.

Rats.

9 Comments:

  • At July 24, 2007 5:13 AM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    My friends and I would traditionally pick up a copy and read it out loud on road trips to Atlantic City. This makes me pig-biting sad.

     
  • At July 24, 2007 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This makes me angry. People are so drone-like now thanks to 24-hour news networks and local news oversaturation that they can't recognize a great parody when they see it? I should expect this, but it still makes me mad.

    I still remember when Firefighter Bryan brought a copy into the back room at the supermarket. That was fun.

     
  • At July 24, 2007 7:28 AM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Wow. Yeah theres another chunk of my childhood gone. Except, you know, as a kid I believed most of what I read. Thought they had the real and unfilter truth. Took me years to figure that one out ^_^

     
  • At July 24, 2007 9:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    And now you'll be reduced to watching Fox News. Sure there are weirdos, but it just won't be the same.

     
  • At July 24, 2007 10:53 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    Yeah, I lamented this on my blog yesterday, it's really sad. Too bad the supermarket check out aisle had to make more room for yet another glossy mag detailing Lindsay Lohan's newest car-wreck instead of this paper which could save your life, if not your soul.

    I fear Archie may be next.

     
  • At July 24, 2007 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You poor blind fools.

    Believing it was shut down for any reason other than revealing the truth.
    Every red blooded citizen will mourn it.

     
  • At July 24, 2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Anthony Strand said…

    Oh, man. That's awful. My grocery store hasn't carried it for a few years, but I always got a huge laugh out of it.

    Best headline: "3,000 Year Old Mummy Pregnant - Janitor Admits 'I'm the father.'"

     
  • At July 25, 2007 2:21 AM, Blogger D.Bishop (aka Mr. Allison Blaire) said…

    my old piano teacher used to read it

    and I pretty much hated anything associated with her so, "Bah ! Good Riddance !"

     
  • At December 01, 2011 4:58 AM, Anonymous www.lerida-3d.com said…

    It can't actually work, I believe so.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home