Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Random Thoughts from Working in a Toy Store

These are a collection of random thoughts related to being a comic geek working in a toy store. :-)

It's really cool, working in a toy store, to see the toys/action figures based on comic book movies. I'm not much of a collector myself, so I'd probably never even see them otherwise.

I single out comic book movies only because when I was a kid, action figures based on real people tended to be kind of sucky looking. It's not their fault, just the techniques used to make them didn't really allow for that sort of precision.

Whereas the action figures for Ghost Rider that actually have Blaze's human head alongside the skull really really do look strikingly like Nicolas Cage. It kind of freaks me out actually.

Brandon Routh and Ioan Gruffudd also, for some reason, tend to be pretty recognizeable in action figure form. (The rest of the Fantastic Four don't, as much. Except Ben, but Ben kind of doesn't count.)

The Batman figures don't look as much like Christian Bale, but that may just be because of the mask. On the other hand, for Halloween we'd carried this pail that was Batman's head. Now, if you looked at the nose/jawline of that pail, the resemblance was very striking.

I really liked carrying those around, because they had really creepy intent stares. Fun to freak out your friends.

The JLU figures are neat, but I've never found the three pack with Sand in it. Much to my sorrow. I did however end up using the package with Kilowog and the two other Lanterns in my initial hiring interview.

That was a very strange interview.

We have a lot of the black clad Superman sets though. And Aztek for some reason.

On my first week of the job, I had to have "points of articulation" explained to me by a comic book geek.

Before he explained it, I figured that all of those action figures just talked very clearly.

I can be kind of dumb sometimes.

The Batman lego sets are surprisingly detailed. I particularly like the tiny lego poison ivy. It's cute.

I always regretted that I started working at the store too late to buy that Wonder Woman Barbie doll with my employee discount. The Poison Ivy and Batgirl/Supergirl dolls were cute, but the one I'd really hoped to find was Diana. I could get it on Ebay I suppose, but it's not the same. :-)

The Young Avenger action figure fourpack actually got me reading the comic book. I remember being mildly bemused by the way the little Hulk-lite character had earrings and a mesh shirt. Asgardian's costume was cooler than Wiccan's later was, I have to say.

I had this friend who'd collect various anime and comic based (male) action figures and pose them in suggestive positioning. I thought about giving her Asgardian and Hulkling, but figured a canon couple would probably ruin her fun.

I always feel sorry for families looking for action figures from any previous season of Power Rangers. It's a very out with the old, in with the new franchise. Right now we're on Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive.

I'm disturbed by how easy that is to rattle off. I blame my Power Rangers-fan of a roommate.

We have Lost action figures for characters who'd died two seasons ago. That strikes me as weird. I don't know why.

The fact that we have Rocky action figures is awesome. But the awesomest thing ever is the fact that we have an action figure of "the meat".

We have an action figure of a CHUNK OF MEAT.

Coolest/Stupidest thing ever.

8 Comments:

  • At February 20, 2007 9:14 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    A Rocky figure? How about Bullwinkle? HAW!

    *ahem*...Seriously, a toy store must be fun. Did you see the new DC mini-mates? They have Guy and Kilowog together,which is just so cute, but it won't be coming out for a while yet.

     
  • At February 20, 2007 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always feel sorry for families looking for action figures from any previous season of Power Rangers. It's a very out with the old, in with the new franchise. Right now we're on Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive.

    There's always eBay, if you don't mind being gouged. That's how the whole series is treated. I'd kill for DVDs of Lost Galaxy, where the Pink Rangers were finally allowed to be important, but it'll never happen.

    I feel sorry for anyone looking to buy figures of the female characters. They look like the males with some lumps on their pecs, if they're made at all (whenever the uniforms have little skirts, you can forget about them being made). It's a shame, really, but I'm sure it gives customizers plenty to do.

    I wish you worked at my nearest TRU. You sound like you enjoy your work; everyone there is miserable & clearly would rather be home on any given day.

     
  • At February 20, 2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I just stumbled on this blog entry. I agree with a lot of your thoughts, I too find the Batman Lego sets really detailed. I'd like to get my hands on one of the bigger sets like the Batcave... haha on the points of articulation thing. I run a toy collecting blog at www.toybender.com and I invite you to stop by!

     
  • At February 20, 2007 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sense when do you need help freaking people out ;) -compliment-

    How many point of articulation did the"CHUNK OF MEAT" havw? FOOWCLOL:)

     
  • At February 20, 2007 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kalinara-

    Have you ever had to "shoo away" adult collectors who, say, try to buy all the figures of a certain character and/or variant? I've been in toy stores over the years where I've seen particularly zealous toy collectors told they could buy a limited number of figures at a time (or in some cases only one figure), after those stores were completely cleaned out of figures before a single kid could even buy one.

    Common? Rare? What's your experience with this? I would think with eBay such a huge force in the collector markets, "toy store raiders" would be an even bigger problem now than they were when I first became aware of them.

     
  • At February 20, 2007 8:56 PM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    You work in a toy store? I don't suppose you're familiar with Shortpacked?

     
  • At February 21, 2007 1:10 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said…

    No go, Filby. I already tried to get her to read it. For some reason I can't get her to read *any* of the fabulous webcomics I read on a daily basis...

     
  • At February 21, 2007 11:56 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Actually, I finally broke down and started reading Shortpacked. It's hilarious. My previous store manager was totally Galasso.

    Except he never pimped his daughter. Thank goodness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home