Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, February 26, 2007

My "the Brave and the Bold" Team-up Wishlist

The Brave and the Bold starting up again, without ALWAYS starring Batman (I like seeing Batman in team/partner stories, but to be honest, I'm really glad they'll be playing with other team ups too), really makes me interested. I love team-ups. And weird partnerships. Basically any time characters who don't normally interact are suddenly thrown into an adventure, I jump for joy.

Which got me to thinking about my wishlist for future Brave and Bold style partnerships:

Stargirl, Mary Marvel and Ms. Martian: Okay, it's a three-for. Still, I think it'd be cute. They're teenaged girls, they're fun, altruistic and cute. I'm not sure what kind of adventure they can go on together, but I think it'd be really good for something relatively lowkey and light-hearted. Bonus points for including Pat Dugan somewhere.

Maxine Hunkel and the new Terra: Mostly because I like teaming up characters with a theme. The elemental powers seem like they could be fun to explore together. The threat would probably be something magical. And I think Maxine could use a few non JSA adventures. Also, I like seeing young girl characters bond with each other. Bonus points for appearances by Ma Hunkel.

Obsidian and the Shade: I find the notion of shadows and shadow worlds and things like that pretty neat, and I think it'd be fun to play around with that for an issue. I'd especially like it if the Shade took Obsidian under his wing a little. Todd's not always the most effective with his powers and I think he could benefit from some training. And the Shade is always cool. Bonus points for a bonding moment between Hope O'Dare and Damon.

Green Lantern (I) and Green Arrow: Okay, I admit, this one came up because I was reading O'Neill era GL/GA again. Mostly because I want to see Alan's reaction when Ollie calls someone a nazi. Bonus points for reaction shots from the rest of the JSA.

Hawkgirl and Guy Gardner: Because if anything is funnier to me than Alan and Ollie, it'd be Kendra and Guy. Hopefully she won't kill him. Fortunately, Guy is kind of ultimately unkillable. The plot could have something to do with Vuldarians and Ancient Egypt, maybe. I don't know. I just want to see the violence. Bonus points for any appearance by Carter.

Oracle and Mr. Terrific: They're brilliant and tech-y, I think it'd be interesting. Maybe a chance to play with some cyber-punk or virtual reality fun. Bonus points for adding the Thinker.

Roy Harper and Sanderson Hawkins: I have the strangest urge to sigh and say "That poor boy," and I have no idea why. Bonus for...well, honestly, the mere idea of the partnership is a bonus for me. Again I have no idea why. That poor boy.

Nightwing and the new Commander Steel: Because Nightwing totally can't win in an angst-off against the guy who got his powers from being vomited on by a nazi. Bonus points for including the phrase "vomited on by a nazi"

Finally, any team up involving Snapper Carr. My current favorite is Booster Gold, but I'll be happy with pretty much anyone. Bonus points if the logo on Snapper's shirt matches whoever he's teamed with.

15 Comments:

  • At February 26, 2007 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Stargirl, Mary Marvel and Ms. Martian: Okay, it's a three-for. Still, I think it'd be cute. They're teenaged girls, they're fun, altruistic and cute. I'm not sure what kind of adventure they can go on together, but I think it'd be really good for something relatively lowkey and light-hearted."

    ROAD TRIP!!!!!

    Um...sorry.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 9:08 AM, Blogger GiantKillerMantis said…

    All of those sound cool! DC, listen up!

     
  • At February 26, 2007 9:59 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    When you refer to "that poor boy", I can only assume that you mean Roy.

    Teeheehee!

    Oh, and Guy and Kendra, with Hawkman thrown in? Comedy gold.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All great ideas, Kalinara...but my favorite one is the suggestion for Obsidian and the Shade. I loved what James Robinson did with the Shade, and have really missed the character since Starman came to an end. Even better, wouldn't it be great if Robinson himself wrote the team-up?

    The only problem, as I can see it, would be that neither character has the "A-list sparkle" I know DC is looking for for at least one of the characters for Brave and the Bold, and neither Obsidian nor the Shade meet that criteria.

    As for Snapper Carr, have he and Jimmy Olsen ever had an adventure together? If not, it would at least make a great 8-pager in a Secret Files kind of thing.

    Other suggestions:

    1. Plastic Man and Metamorpho: Complete insanity!

    2. Batman and Bizarro: The World's Un-Finest Team!

    3. Superman and The Golden Age (Earth-2) Superman: They're hinting he's coming back, so please, please, PLEASE!

     
  • At February 26, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    The best Team-Up idea I have ever heard involved Batman teaming up with the new Phantom Lady, because it could start, "It was a Dark and Stormy Knight".

     
  • At February 26, 2007 12:41 PM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    Green Lantern (I) and Green Arrow:

    I need to say it again. BEST. IDEA. EVER.

    "It was a Dark and Stormy Knight"

    Ow, Ragtime, Ow.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 12:55 PM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    I'd like to see Hawkgirl team up with the Atom, if only because it'd look awful cute with Ryan perched on her shoulder like Ray and Carter in the old days.

    Captain Marvel and Captain Atom would be interesting. Despite both drifting into obscurity since the Crisis, they were each the top dogs on their respective Earths. And I think they each represent something fundamental about the Golden and Silver Ages respectively.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 3:17 PM, Blogger Matthew E said…

    I was thinking Blue Beetle (Jaime) and the Atom (Ryan). They're both new on the job, they're both making it up as they go along, and maybe Ryan could help Jaime with his science homework.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 3:36 PM, Blogger D.Bishop (aka Mr. Allison Blaire) said…

    I wanna see Supergirl and Arrowette to find out which one doesn't want to be a superhero more.

    ehh it'll just be nice to see Cissie in a comic again

    Two more I'd like are Tim Drake and Jaime Reyes, and Nightwing and Bart Allen.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 4:19 PM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    How about Jaime and Booster? That would be fun.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 8:31 PM, Blogger Bill D. said…

    There's no way to say that Stargirl, Mary Marvel, and Miss Martian would make the cutest team-up ever without accidentally sounding like the sort of guy who ends up on Dateline: To Catch a Predator, is there?

     
  • At February 26, 2007 8:40 PM, Blogger Ragnell said…

    Obsidian and the Shade: I find the notion of shadows and shadow worlds and things like that pretty neat, and I think it'd be fun to play around with that for an issue. I'd especially like it if the Shade took Obsidian under his wing a little. Todd's not always the most effective with his powers and I think he could benefit from some training. And the Shade is always cool. Bonus points for a bonding moment between Hope O'Dare and Damon.

    This would be so wonderful.

     
  • At February 26, 2007 10:41 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said…

    Mark: when she was writing this post she asked me who she should team-up Snapper Carr with. I shouted -- SHOUTED -- JIMMY OLSEN!!!

    But she wouldn't listen to me...

    Oh, and a road trip with those three girls would be awesome. Stargirl would have to drive, because I doubt the other two have driver's licences...

     
  • At February 27, 2007 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maxine Hunkel and Misfit!

     
  • At February 28, 2007 11:57 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Mon-El and Lead from the Metal Men.

    But seriously:

    Jimmy Olsen and Birds of Prey

    Nightwing & Manhunter

     

Post a Comment

<< Home