Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, February 05, 2007

Because I Lost A Bet...Sorta...

So. Anyway. I lost a bet with Canton...or maybe I won. It all gets a little weird. (It was about Zach's sexual orientation on Heroes, BTW, so you can imagine that we're both a little confused about who actually won.)

Anyway, we both agreed to do a review of a comic from the other's pull list, and now it's my turn!

The comic I decided to choose was the Marvel One-Shot of Ms. Marvel. Now. I admit it freely, I know absolutely nothing about Ms. Marvel. Except that she's hot, apparently on the pro-registration side of Civil War, got her powers/mind sucked out by Rogue and she was quite useful in Ultimate Alliance. I figured I'd probably be lost in her regular series right now (given that I'd be dropping smack dab in the middle of the tie-in stuff) so the one-shot seemed like perfect timing!

First of all, I'd like to say that using one's old unbelievable superhero experience as the basis for a science fiction novel is a remarkably clever idea. It's a much better way of exploiting one's lifestyle than taking pictures and selling them to the Daily Bugle. Less chance of a malicious-minded editor-in-chief using it against you, at the very least.

Though, is it just me or does Wonder Man die a lot? It seems like every thing I see him in, he dies. He's like Earth-8 Jean Grey or something. Or perhaps he and Jean could have the world's most annoyingly self-repop-able children. It'd be like living in a really big MMO-RPG. Or playing with weebles. Knock 'em down, pop back up, knock 'em down, pop back up.

I liked Carol in this. She doesn't seem to take much nonsense and she was quite clever. I wouldn't say the ending of the story was precisely a victory, but that really can't be pinned on her head. She did the best she could and if it was a mistake, at least it was an understandable one.

Besides, I've always liked her costume design. Especially the Binary costume. It's like Starfire with added attitude.

Overall, the issue wasn't bad. Decent standalone plot with interesting possible future hints. It made me want to read more about Carol Danvers, which is probably the point. So, I'd say as one-shot comics go, it's not Winter Soldier, but it was pretty darned enjoyable. I'd recommend it!

6 Comments:

  • At February 05, 2007 11:01 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I used to rather like Ms. Marvel...until Civil War, and then I lost it. She's ALMOST as bad as Tony Stark, and that is saying something.

    But she used to be fun. Sorry to be so cranky.

     
  • At February 05, 2007 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You may want to check out that little chat that Reed Richards and The Mad Thinker had just awhile back;we may not want Civil War,but THEY may NEED it...

     
  • At February 05, 2007 5:32 PM, Blogger Bill D. said…

    Ms. Marvel is indeed incredibly awesome in Ultimate Alliance, and it's made me actually want to go and see if the comics are any good. There's that Essential coming down the pike, so I'm thinking that's a good place to start.

     
  • At February 05, 2007 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well considering Wonderman died in his debut issue way back in Avengers #9 and has died a couple of times since...

    Not to mention you could count Vision as half wonderman. So that rackets it up some more.

    Basically he's the Avengers Phoenix. He goes into a fight either to be beat up or to die. They even gave him a class 95 strength rating, just so he's always right below the real heavy hitters like Thor and Hulk who are 100+ rated.

    Although he does pretty well under a good writer, and Peter David is doing good things with him in the current Wonderman mini.

     
  • At February 06, 2007 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SallyP: Granted, Brian Reed was under orders to write her that way, but expecting three dimensional females from the co-writer of Jessica Drew's Torture Time Funnies is wishful thinking.

    I wish Reed didn't write her as a constant screwup. I mean, she's flawed, but she's always doing the wrong thing. Kalinara, you might like the first hardcover.

    Granted, with Lopresti taking over I'll definitely give it another shot.

     
  • At February 06, 2007 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, and I can tell all of you: The Essential volume is AWESOME. SEE Claremont's stock plots before they became creepy fetishes! SEE totally boss Buscema, Cockrum, and Mooney artwork! SEE an early appearance of SABRETOOTH!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home