Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I am mocking you on twitter right this moment. Probably.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Nostalgia Kick!

My parents are the awesomest gift-givers ever! Among other presents, they gave me the first boxed set of She-Ra: Princess of Power!

I don't think I need to tell you how awesome this is.

Anyway, I've been reading the series bible, and reminded all over again how this show and He-Man essentially molded my view on feminism.

This quote gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside:

"SHE-RA, PRINCESS OF POWER will reinforce the fact that one person can make a difference. Man or woman, boy or girl, you have the potential to make the world a better place."


I'm not usually on much of a nostalgia kick. I tend to like modern things as well as, if not more than what came before. (For example, I find the modern age of comics, for all its faults, to be far more to my taste than the Silver. Or even the Golden Age) But when I think about it now, I can't really think of any cartoon show right now that is really so willing to embrace that sort of message. Even if it's just in that cheesy 80's way.

I mean, we have cartoons that are fun. And definitely cartoons that are educational. But I can't think of any that really seem to embrace that sense of power and independence for its own sake. And I can't help but think that's a shame.

Also another quote that made me smile:

"Women should play a major role in all stories, not only Shera and her super-powered friends and enemies, but women of all kinds. Don't neglect our male characters. They are important too, just don't surrender to the macho-syndrome of many cartoons in which the females are wispy Princesses always in need of rescue. Strive always for a true equality of characters, thinking of our people as just that, people, regardless of sex differences."


I think I love you, series-bible writer! From your lips to EVERYONE's ears!

7 Comments:

  • At December 26, 2006 1:12 AM, Anonymous "Starman" Matt Morrison said…

    Come to think of it, She-Ra was the only show I can think of that had a considerable ammount of female villains. And competent female villains at that.

     
  • At December 26, 2006 1:16 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yep! I was always fond of Evil-Lyn as well. But She-Ra had a multitude! It was great!

     
  • At December 26, 2006 2:01 AM, Blogger D. Edward Sauve said…

    What about the He-Man/ She-Ra team ups?

    (Verifi-word: Hiffy. I feel insulted, yet don't know why.)

     
  • At December 26, 2006 3:33 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I like the team-ups actually. They tend to make a good, equal team...

    Besides, 9 times out of 10, if one twin is in distress and needs rescue, it's HIM rather than HER. :-)

     
  • At December 26, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Racy Li said…

    I loved Catra. Catra was awesome.

     
  • At December 26, 2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous david brothers said…

    They published the series bible along with the box set? Is it the entire thing?

    If so, that is by far the neatest box set ever. I'm a junkie for that kind of process/behind-the-scenes stuff.

    It's almost enough to make me want to buy the set, but my tastes ran more toward Transformers and Ghostbusters than He-Man/She-ra. Still, I am tempted.

     
  • At December 26, 2006 1:43 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    racy: Totally agreed!

    david: Both the He-Man and She-Ra sets include pdf copies of their respective bibles as a dvd rom feature. It is AWESOME.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home