Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

More Multiverse Ramblings...

Okay, now, I've finally had a chance to see this...

I haven't seen the hardcover myself, as it costs money I don't have at the moment, but these quote changes intrigue me.

I actually thought I'd be more vexed about the idea of a reformed E-2, but I'm not. This is probably though because of my own argument here.

Because they don't seem to be re-dividing Earth-New to do it. Manhunter with her very strong JSA/All-Star Squadron ties is clearly on the same Earth as the Wonder Woman that killed Max Lord. Her compatriot Obsidian is in the JSA. Mr. Terrific and Alan Scott are in Checkmate, Terrific's in Action Comics. Jay's in the Flash.

So...it's all good.

In fact, I think it could be great. Suddenly I want to know what would happen if this modern JSA that I love so much could actually meet the pre-Crisis versions...or their descendants/successors. Is there a Kal-L alive there? How does being on a different world with (probably) no JLA successors change them? Is there a Huntress and Dick Grayson there, to finally make the old fanboys happy?

Where will Power Girl decide to go?

It might be a trick. It very likely is a trick. But I'm interested nonetheless.

(As long as MY JSA, the REAL JSA as far as I'm concerned, gets to stay as forerunners and legends on Earth-new. :-) I'm biased.)

This intrigues me.

(Edited to Add: Ooo. I just had a thought. What if on Earth-2 there is a Jade still alive. What would it do to OUR Alan (that is Earth-new, no Superman in the Society Alan...I'm possessive) to find out that another version of him did not lose his child...THAT could be cool!)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At October 12, 2006 10:41 AM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    I'd be interested in an Earth 2 if there were no superheroes or metas or supernatural yet it still had a counterpart to everyone on New Earth.

    I don't know why, but that's pretty much the only thing that can sell me an another Earth 2 right now. I'm all full up on Multiverse stories at the moment :)

    This doesn't mean I dislike What-if or Elseworlds tales.. no, I like them quite a bit. But those are self contained yarns and almost always have a done-in-one story to tell. But Earth 2 as aa long standing setting? I've been there, done that. Give me something new or something that has enough life to it to feel new.

     
  • At October 12, 2006 11:25 AM, Blogger Matthew E said…

    If--if--this is what they're doing, then there's another implication:

    Earth-2 Legion of Super-Heroes.

    Which DC could use, to pacify the many fans who simply cannot let go of previous versions of the team. Just put the original Legion on Earth-2 and you're good to go.(Actually, DC has about four or five Legion versions that have a strong following, but never mind, one will do for now.) Now, this is a Legion that was kind of messed up in a few ways; there was the 'Legion on the Run' nonsense that almost ruined the characters completely, and then there were the SW6 Legionnaires who Giffen had plans for at the time but who would now just confuse the issue... but this is all fixable.

    And the same approach could be taken with any other DC property or concept that the writers want a) available but b) not in the way all the time.

     
  • At October 12, 2006 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But didn't the rewrites suggest that Earth 2 was empty? Wouldn't that mean that if there is a second Earth out there that it's either empty or full of different heroes?

     
  • At October 12, 2006 11:52 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I just got it, because I had somehow only had a few of the original issues, and it was driving me crazy. Actually, it comes across rather well, when all read at once. Boy Superboy Prime is really really irritating! Felt sorry for poor Peej, and I loved the Lanterns and the "thin green line". Hoohah! But it is a bit ambiguous isn't it? Which may turn out to be a good thing.

     
  • At October 12, 2006 1:13 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    Earth Two 2.0 looks like the basis of the next DC giganto cross-over to me.

    Whatever happens, I do think your JSA will remain THE JSA.

     
  • At October 12, 2006 3:04 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    r.nav: That seems interesting. Honestly, I can't see them keeping this new E-2 around terribly long. Just for a fun huge crossover. But it does make for neat ideas.

    matthew: Ooo. I admit, my vote is for the post-Zero Hour Legion. I really liked them. More sense of camaraderie than the current group I think...

    ticknart: Who knows! It's fun to speculate though!

    sally: Heheheh, poor misunderstood,, aggravating S'!

    keeper: *nod* I'm glad for that, but it'd be neat to have a world that remembered Superman as the first as well. :-)

     
  • At October 12, 2006 3:16 PM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    Matthew, if they make it Legion earth, does that mean this comic will become canon again?

     
  • At October 12, 2006 3:33 PM, Blogger Matthew E said…

    r.nav: Yes.

    kalinara: I did too. There was nothing about that version of the Legion that demanded a wipe and a reboot; they were fine. But if it's a choice between them or the original, I have to go with the original.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home