Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Non-Comic Again

You know what's interesting to do around the holidays? (and by "interesting" I mean "boring to anyone who isn't me") It's watching the commercials to see which ones really seem to evoke the spirit of the holiday.

I thought about that this past Valentine's Day. And it occurred to me that for all the Vermont Teddy Bear or Candy commercials that I saw, the commercial that I thought really felt most like a Valentine's commercial was a cell phone commercial.

It's not really a Valentine commercial, but it makes me laugh every time. It's either Verizon or T-Mobile. One of those types, anyway. And it's got the old guy and his wife sitting in armchairs. And he keeps insisting he's afraid of commitment, and she gives him a look and says they'd been married for 40 years. He corrects her: "Thirty-eight" and then insists he needs variety. She points out that he's had eleven bull-dogs all named Steve. And so on.

Every time, it makes me go "Aw." Cranky old people are cute. Especially when they're tolerating one another's foibles with eye-rolling exasperation. That just seems so much more "romantic" than some stupid teddy bear or admittedly tasty candy. Hmph.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home