Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, February 04, 2008

My Thoughts on Recent Case Developments

You know, I have to say, I've never particularly cared whether Stephanie Brown got a memorial case or not. I wasn't fond of the character in either incarnation, but I would rather have had a case for Steph as Spoiler rather than Robin. But I didn't really care either way.

But thinking about the recent mention of the lack in Robin and the dream sequence in Batman, I have to say that I'm with Ragnell here.

Whether this is a stunt or something more, I think it's ultimately a good thing. They've been listening and they're actually acknowledging that there's a good portion of the comics reading population who thinks the treatment of Stephanie is unfair.

It's funny because, as I said, I never much cared about the character or the cause, but I'm actually quite elated about this. I don't know if it's a change in attitude suddenly, or indicative of something that's been planned for a long time, but either way, I think it means something. Even if it's just "Yes, we know you exist." It's still something.

I really do think this is a good thing. :-)

4 Comments:

  • At February 04, 2008 12:20 PM, Blogger tavella said…

    What I like, and what I think the case is more a symbol of then a goal in itself, is that she's treated as real Robin, as someone that Batman has to take into account emotionally, rather than the initial treatment of "sure she died, but Batman doesn't have to feel anything about it, it was just some temp employee."

     
  • At February 04, 2008 6:41 PM, Blogger Scott (The Mad Thinker) Anderson said…

    Personally, I don't think she should have a case, but it was never a big deal for me one way or the other, and I couldn't figure out what DC was getting out of not giving her one when there were fans who felt strongly that it should be there, but probably few that felt strongly that it shouldn't. So it's nice-ish that it's there now, but to me this was giving up so very, very little (i.e. nothing) that I can't really see this as a big victory. It's not as if they hired a lot more women or something that might actually put some meat into a pro-woman stance. I kind of wonder if someone didn't just say, "Oh, just give it to them so they'll shut up."

     
  • At February 05, 2008 9:28 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I think this is a great thing too :D And since I didn't start reading comics until AFTER Stephanie Brown died, it doesn't matter to me personally, but it's important to a lot of ppl, and I think it is only going to inspire ppl to keep doing what they're doing, and not to give up on things they believe in. :)

    It doesn't change the world, but it's a something. :) It's definitely not bad, and an inch of progress is still progress :]

     
  • At February 05, 2008 11:36 AM, Blogger Tamora Pierce said…

    I agree that it's a fine thing. I am thrilled.

    See, that's the Bats I know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home