Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, July 05, 2007

I like Captain Boomerang.

I really like Owen Mercer/Captain Boomerang II. I don't really know why. Well, aside from the fact that he's a smart-mouthed obnoxious redhead and I may have a type. But I like him.

I like the legacy element and family ties. Son of Captain Boomerang, descendent of Professor Zoom, half-brother of Bart Allen. I like that he tried the villain thing out and didn't like it so went with the hero thing instead. I also like that he makes a real effort to find some sort of peace with Tim Drake, what with what happened to their fathers. (It's funny how he was so much more competent and kickass in that Robin issue than he tends to be in Outsiders...)

I'd really like to see him used more. If only so I can read him in comics I actually like as opposed to Outsiders and Supergirl. Though to be fair, I like most of the characters in Outsiders whose initials aren't Dick Grayson, I just am not a fan of the story style. And in Supergirl, his thing with Kara is probably the least bothersome thing about the whole comic. He's not that much older than her after all.

Wonder if he'll get his speed back soon. Because speed-chucking Boomerangs is such a stupid talent that it loops around to awesome. It's speed-chucking Boomerangs!

Though will they ever explain how he ended up in the past? Because that seems like pertinent information.

Oh well. He's cute and easily tortured and an obnoxious redhead. So I guess I'm just doomed to like him in spite of myself.

10 Comments:

  • At July 05, 2007 7:21 AM, Blogger Rich said…

    I like the character too - but dropped both Outsiders and Supergirl ages ago.

    Er...what was that about him being in the past?

     
  • At July 05, 2007 7:33 AM, Blogger Centurion said…

    He traveled back in time? Never knew that, but for what reason? I think I missed that part of the story...

     
  • At July 05, 2007 8:27 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Well, his Mom's Meloni Thawne, Bart's mother. From the 30th century. So there had to have been time travel somewhere.

    I thought I read somewhere that Boomerang briefly had gotten stuck in the future, and that's how they spawned. I don't honestly know if that's true. But that's where the "how he got back to the past" thing came from. :-) I might be completely mistaken though. (SHE might have met HIM on some jaunt to the past, for all I know...)

     
  • At July 05, 2007 9:46 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Boomer was one of the few things that I liked about Identity crises. He's just a good character. Being red-haired and obnoxious doens't hurt either of course.

    I've been reading the Checkmate/Outsiders crossover, and so far he's the best character in it.

     
  • At July 05, 2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    I haven't looked at it closely enough to know if it's a "theme" or just my selective memory, but based on what I can think of at the moment, there are many more examples of female heroes whose origin story is "rejecting an evil criminal father" (just taking recent Bat-Family characters, there is Batgirl, Huntress, Spoiler, Warlock's Daughter(?)), while male heroes are more likely to have origins based on taking on the mantle of their heroic (or just "Good") father.

    Owen is a solid counter-example, with a son rejecting his evil father to become a hero.

     
  • At July 05, 2007 2:42 PM, Blogger Rich said…

    Oh...good point. I'm not sure how Owen made it back to the 20th century - I think I just assumed Digger brought him back somehow.

     
  • At July 05, 2007 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boomerang turning good is one of the few good things in the thoroughly mixed Winick Outsiders. Owen is a fun character.

     
  • At July 05, 2007 6:01 PM, Blogger McBangle said…

    Well, aside from the fact that he's a smart-mouthed obnoxious redhead and I may have a type.

    That really made me laugh, because from the first time I came across Guy Gardner in JLI, I've had a definite thing for the smart-mouthed obnoxious redhead. And I do like Boomer, too.

     
  • At July 05, 2007 8:45 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    I like Boomer, too. I just dropped Outsiders now that the crossover with Checkmate is done and I'm on the fence with Supergirl. Boomer is definitely fun.

     
  • At July 08, 2007 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like Boomer too. Heck, I even like him in Supergirl just for the concept.

    The son of a super-villain, who is trying to redeem his famiy's name... sorta and the daughter of the most favored heroic house in the DCU? Talk about your odd couples.

    Not that odd really. Kara, under Kelly's pen, was sick to death of all the assumptions that were being made about her by other people and the presumptions about what she should be doing with her life.

    Well, who can relate to that better than the guy who half the hero community doesn't trust because his dad was a supervillian and he hung out with The Rogues for a little while? Throw in the fact that Owen, as a person, is very non-jugemental and a good listener... and he's just the friend Kara needed.

    It's also nice to see a male/female friendship that IS totally platonic, despite all of Kara's teasing to the contrary.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home