Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Green and Blue

This month's Blue Beetle really illustrates why I want to see more team-ups between Guy and younger heroes. Because he really is good at it. He tells Jaime exactly what the kid needs to hear and gives him some long term help too, via Liddell-Hart's Strategy.

Also, as a fan of Ted Kord, I was really pleased by the recognition that Guy gives him, which I'll quote for any Ted Kord fans who read this blog who don't read Blue Beetle:

"Ted Kord had no powers, kid. He was always "overpowered". But he always won. I saw him mop the floor with guys who ate stars. because he was smarter. He was smarter than Bats, although nobody ever noticed. You can beat these punks. But you gotta stop thinkin' like some scared kid with fancy power armor...and start thinkin' like the Blue Beetle."

I love this. I've always liked the interaction between Ted and Guy. Even the fistfight, (though I was horrified that the rest of the group allowed this to take place. For one thing, pitting an olympic level martial artist against a brain damaged school teacher is basically just a set-up for the abject humiliation of a teammate. Even if said teammate is a jerk. Besides, you have a geek with confidence issues and a past of having been bullied and you're pitting him against a thug with a lot of issues relating to humiliation, and you think that's going to turn out at ALL well? I blame General Glory. One day I WILL write my General Glory hate post, just you wait!)

I particularly liked how as JLI/JLA went on, Guy and Ted really did become less adversarial. They really worked together well. Like when the Weapons Master had them all captured and Ted had to move them on the chessboard. When he realized that moving the piece freed them momentarily, he moved Guy, so Guy could steal his ring back and act. He trusted Guy to know exactly how to act and when, and that's just awesome teamwork. And when Guy got Ted to steer the car when taking out his evil clone...And Ted was the first person Guy went to when his ring started failing/Parallax was on the rise.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Guy hasn't forgotten that friendship (of course he wouldn't!) and I love seeing him be mentor-y with Jaime. I love that he isn't trying to teach Jaime his own method, which totally wouldn't work for him, but instead is showing him how to be a proper Blue Beetle.

Now how about sending him to straighten out the Teen Titans?

11 Comments:

  • At April 26, 2007 9:40 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Ah, I wondered how you would react after reading Blue Beetle. Oh, it was SO good. Jaime is so adorable, that I want to pinch his cheek, and I LOVE his mother.

    Guy was great as usual. I am a little disappointed that they didn't show the bar fight.

    And yes, Guy is great with the younger heroes...always has been. Which is why they should get Kyle back with him, they work SO well together.

    Yeah, Guy and Ted used to fight when they were in the League. Part of that was because Guy was in his "angry 10 year old" stage, and part of it was because Ted just never knew when to quit. Being egged on by Booster probably didn't help. However, I've always thought that the three of them usually managed to have a good deal of fun together. It only really got out of hand during that idiotic boxing match. (Yes, General Glory is a moron) And Guy was immediately sorry afterwards.

    It would be nice to have Guy take Jaime under his wing a bit. It would also be interesting to see how the OTHER GL's react to Jaime's scarab. Will they ALL freak out?

     
  • At April 26, 2007 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. That just makes me really like Guy. And it makes me miss Ted.

     
  • At April 26, 2007 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That last page made me all sniffly. Guy is such a sweetheart when appropriate.

    I like the idea of Jaime sort of taking on Ted's mantle (for all that they're very different, both personality- and powers-wise), even though he's never met him.

    (And for the bar fight: Honestly, I think it was cooler that they just said "One awesome bar fight later...". Whatever they could have put there does not measure up to the hilarity in my mind. Plus there would have been less time for laser penguins that way.)

    wonderfish@lj

     
  • At April 26, 2007 10:43 AM, Blogger Martin said…

    Wait ... the General Liddell-Hart?
    He was a fairly big authority on dress and fashion, too - the Imperial War Museum has his military archive, but we got his fashion designs and histories.

    They're really quite good.

     
  • At April 26, 2007 2:36 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Catching bits of this issue on scans_daily finally pushed me over. Just what I needed. Another set of trades to budget for. At least DC doesn't put everything I want in high end HC books first...

     
  • At April 26, 2007 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's one of the greatest covers ever, that issue #14 cover.

    You know, Guy's teaching history (well, he taught gym) really gives him insight into the younger heroes that other characters might not have. He sees potential in someone, he does his best to bring it out right.

    You know what Marvel character is like that, only a lot less nice about it? Emma Frost.

    Hmmmmm... Crossover sense... TINGLING!

     
  • At April 26, 2007 7:25 PM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    IS. THAT. A. GIANT. GREEN. FIST?

    Was just awesome. I really love Jamie's Mom.

     
  • At April 26, 2007 7:59 PM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    All that and killer penguins too!

    Even besides the mentoring Guy was awesome. "I see why the Oans don't like them. Guardians used to have the universal monology on snark, these guys are a threat to that"? Love!

     
  • At April 26, 2007 8:50 PM, Blogger Captain Infinity said…

    He was smarter than Bats

    I just gained a whole new level of respect for Guy.

     
  • At April 27, 2007 1:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yep definitely a great issue. As for Guy mentoring the Titans, I have a better idea. Let's have him will himself over to Earth Prime and explain to the current writer Guy style why he needs to move on and let someone else handle the title.

     
  • At April 27, 2007 2:18 PM, Blogger David C said…

    "Wait ... the General Liddell-Hart?
    He was a fairly big authority on dress and fashion,"

    Really?!? Huh. Ya learn something new every day....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home