Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, December 27, 2009

I saw it, I saw it.

I got to see Sherlock Holmes! (Finally!) I liked it! I expected I would, because Sherlock Holmes + explosions + fisticuffs make me happy.

Also, finally, a decent portrayal of Watson! Long-suffering Watson > Idiot Watson.

Though I think I understand now why a lot of films idiotize Watson. Because played straight and competent, he kind of comes across as Holmes's Victorian wife.

He's basically Charlotte Pitt with a revolver. And a sword cane.

Sword canes are hot.

Also, Jude Law doesn't do much for me normally, and Victorian facial hair downright annoys me, but somehow him + mustache = infinitely hotter than either alone.

RDJ was good too, of course. I tend to think Robert Downey Jr. pretty much just plays Robert Downey, Jr. in everything. But fortunately being an off-putting, yet charming, intelligent, ex-addict translates pretty well to Sherlock Holmes once you give him a British accent. He doesn't have a sword cane though, so he's less hot to me.

I have a thing for weapons, sorry. Also, sidekicks.

If the slash fandom doesn't explode after this movie, I will be very disappointed.

The female characters weren't bad, either, though. But let's be honest, I'm not watching Sherlock Holmes for the GIRLS.

So yeah, I liked it. Would totally see it again.

(P.S. Am totally amused they remade Clash of the Titans. Seriously, what the heck?!)

11 Comments:

  • At December 27, 2009 12:15 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I really do have to go and see this movie. And I have to admit that "Charlotte Pitt with a revolver" just made me squeal with delight.

    Also sword canes are indeed sexy. As are long sideburns, cravats and frock coats.

     
  • At December 27, 2009 3:48 PM, Blogger James Ashelford said…

    Sword canes are brilliant. I've got my great-grandmother's sword umbrella somewhere.

     
  • At December 27, 2009 7:28 PM, Anonymous Flidget said…

    I agree on all points and particularly in regards to the mustache.

    Also I want to know more about James Ashelford's grandmother.

     
  • At December 27, 2009 9:18 PM, Blogger Diabolu Frank said…

    Jude Law's Watson was definitely the highlight of the picture. Unusually, I found Robert Downey Jr. wanting, and the whole affair was otherwise tepid.

     
  • At December 27, 2009 9:18 PM, Blogger Alix said…

    Hehe. I just saw it today, too, and had, word for word, the exact same reactions. Especially in regards to Watson.

    And I so have to see the Clash of the Titans remake now. The original is my favorite bad movie ever.

     
  • At December 27, 2009 9:53 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I second the desire to know more about the sword-umbrella wielding great-grandma.

     
  • At December 28, 2009 1:18 PM, Blogger James Ashelford said…

    @Kalinara and Flidget, because I'm not one to disappoint:

    The sword-umbrella belonged to the mother of my paternal grandmother, which probably explains a lot about my paternal grandmother's character.

    What little I know about Bessie Eway (Bessie might not be her real name, the women on that side never seemed to use their real names, my grandmother was christened Violet but has been known as Betty for the last eighty-nine years) is that she was a village post-mistress, married to the village postman, she was a suffragette and apparently bought the sword-umbrella for the purposes of self-defence on suffrage marches in London.

    She also apparently knew enough about medicine to teach my grandmother the skills not only to join the Royal Air Force women's auxiliary as a nurse but to qualify as a medical pharmacist in record time.

    My grandmother also did double duty as an RAF lorry driver, though that might be coincidental.

     
  • At December 28, 2009 4:38 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Your Grandmother sounds fabulous, James.

     
  • At December 29, 2009 1:56 PM, Blogger Lady Niko said…

    I liked Irene Adler - she was the only woman to ever best Holmes in canon. If you take a look at Carole Nelson Douglas' work (aside from her funny Midnight Louie cat detective series), she's got a series of books with Irene Adler as the main character.

    The movie was fun and not too terribly updated to make it so unbelievable. Of course, seeing it with a couple of Holmes' super fans, we pegged the figure in the coach long before his name was revealed and I hope that they do come out with a sequel to this so we can see those two go head to head. *g*

     
  • At January 02, 2010 5:58 AM, Blogger shikome kido mi said…

    They're remaking Clash of the titans?

    Hm... I suspect that even modern CG won't surpass Ray Harryhausen by much.
    My favorite not terribly good movie of his remains Jack the Giant Killer, however (a tentacled sea serpent is on the side of good. And that thing is incredibly fluid for old claymation).

     
  • At November 26, 2011 11:13 PM, Anonymous Leon said…

    Really useful information, thanks so much for the article.
    signs of kidney stones | braces and rubber bands | ford dealers in houston

     

Post a Comment

<< Home