Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday Filler

Well, on account of there not being enough time for me to answer all the meme questions before going gaming today, I'm extending it to Friday.

If you're curious about my gaming, I'm running a Spycraft campaign. 2.0. Badly. I'm, to be perfectly frank, a terrible Game Master. There are two types of horrible Game Master: the control freak who must steer his/her players by the nose, and my type, who pretty much just wings it all. "You want to jump from the roof of the parking garage via your car and run down the sniper trying to kill you?...Awesome! Fuck rolling! You succeed!"

My players have started to figure me out. The more outlandish and entertaining the solution, the more likely I am to fudge dice rolls in their favor.

I don't game master to kill characters, I do it to be entertained by my own private theatre troop. :-P

4 Comments:

  • At September 19, 2009 3:43 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Honestly, that's the better of the terrible GM styles. It rewards insanity with memories. Also, you keep your players not only interested, but also attending.

    Wish I could join that game...

     
  • At September 19, 2009 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My previous GM enshrined that concept in a house rule (at least as far as I'm aware it was a house rule - didn't appear in the rule book...). In addition to standard XP-type points, we could earn Style Points - for being Ambitious but Rubbish, when we lost -7000 points for clear thinking, or just when we came up with a fun/ridiculous/insane idea and managed to make it stick.

    That was an awesome game.

     
  • At September 19, 2009 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You ought to try Exalted sometime. When a player comes up with a crazy stunt for his character, especially one that violates normal physical laws, he gets to roll extra dice. The more awesome the stunt, the more dice he gets...

     
  • At September 20, 2009 8:54 PM, Blogger Starman said…

    Honestly, Spycraft is a horribly broken system.

    Our group tried running it once. We began actively trying to avoid combat simply because it ground the whole game to a halt as the GM hauled out the charts to figure out how we could do certain things.

    To say nothing of the fact that it was near impossible for our level 1 martial artist to hit anyone, yet an untrained marksman was able to shoot down a small plane with multiple shots to a gas tank. (He was trying to shoot the gunman on the other side of the plane who was strafing us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home