Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

In which I'm a judgmental bitch...

I'm going to be extremely judgmental for a moment and say I find these anime eyes things creepy as FUCK.

Intellectually I know that this really isn't any more ridiculous than, say, dyeing one's hair peroxide blond or putting on enough greasepaint to kill a small horse (It's depressing to look at a drug store and see just how many aisles are devoted to products to make women look as unlike themselves as possible)...and to be fair, contacts are much less drastic a change than, say, plastic surgery to look like Barbie or a cat or something.

But irrationally, it still creeps me out. Probably because it's anime and while I love anime, I have no intention to look like a two-dimensional drawing.

Admittedly, eight years ago or so, during my big manga/anime phase? I'd have pounced on this like mad. Well, maybe not. I'm not a contact lens person, and to be honest, I'm one of those sorts of people who look infinitely better with glasses ON than off. But I'd have THOUGHT about it.

Still, anime eyes? Kinda creepy.

7 Comments:

  • At August 13, 2008 1:50 AM, Blogger Nenena said…

    I kind of feel the same way, and I think it has something to do with the fact that it's about the *eyes*. Eyes are like... I dunno. The slightest thing that looks "unnatural" about the eyes, and all of a sudden it's creepsville. I think it might be because eyes are some of the most immediately striking (and potentially unsettling) parts of the human body to begin with...?

     
  • At August 13, 2008 2:04 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Big eyes in anime don't bug me. But the pics of the models with those contacts? Creeeeeeeeeeeeeepy!

     
  • At August 13, 2008 3:18 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    :o I think they're kinda cool xD I'd wear those for fun :D And they'd prolly be useful for cosplay :3 But then I alrdy wear contacts sometimes :) And if I had the money I'd have different kinds of contacts to wear for fun when I felt like it! :D

    Mind you, my hair is dyed blonde too xD

     
  • At August 13, 2008 6:28 AM, Blogger running42k said…

    Those big eyes are handy if you are going to poke someone in the eyes Three Stooges style.

     
  • At August 13, 2008 7:42 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    It would probably be good for cosplay. :-)

     
  • At August 13, 2008 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My immediate reaction after following the link:

    GAH!

    Then being creeped out to find that the photo wasn't just a photoshop....

     
  • At August 13, 2008 10:24 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Oh I saw that photo too, and was very creeped out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home