Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, July 28, 2008

Two Mini Reaction Posts in One

Reaction Number 1: (via blog@newsarama)

The first thing to know is that I'm really looking forward to the Watchmen movie and I thought the trailer looked PHENOMENAL. But the only thing I can think upon seeing this ad:



Dr. Manhatten has a really nice ass. But I kind of wish he'd put pants on.

Reaction Number 2: (also via blog@)

“The Marvel Universe has basically been turned into the Ultimate Universe, right down to the military super-teams,” Millar told Newsarama, “so now it’s time to go back and take things to the next level. I have a very big pad filled with notes here and am blazing on this stuff. I just want to take things to the next level.”


...

I have no idea where to start.

Okay how about: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?!

The NEXT LEVEL?!

I'm not going to get into the whole pride in fucking trashing the Marvel Universe thing. I actually do like some of the results after all. But you know, the whole part of having the ULTIMATE universe was to tell DIFFERENT stories than the main universe! It shouldn't be a point of pride to turn the main universe INTO the ultimate universe!

But really, the "next level" just brings to mind all my theoretical ASBAR Green Lantern and Flash ideas. There is a point to which making things "more extreme" or bringing it to the "next level" just gets ridiculous (see: a good majority of the 1990s). Mr. Millar, you are rapidly approaching that point, if you haven't already.

But honestly, I don't care about the Ultimate Universe so PLEASE Mr. Millar fucking STAY THERE and leave 616 ALONE!

Thank you.

8 Comments:

  • At July 28, 2008 1:05 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Yes "blazing" would be the right word. Why do his books keep selling? Fans make me sad...

     
  • At July 28, 2008 1:44 AM, Blogger Evan Waters said…

    You know, the Ultimate universe makes sense as a continuity-lite, slimmed down version of the Marvel Universe with a vague aesthetic similarity to the movies so as to hook readers who have seen them and want something like what they saw.

    I have no idea why they decided to make it the Extreme MU where everyone's a jerk and the most adolescent fan theories become reality. Wanda and Pietro sleep together! Hank beats Jan to a pulp every night! Captain America is a xenophobe! Tony Stark sex tapes leak onto the Internet! I have to wonder at the maturity of the people who write this.

     
  • At July 28, 2008 5:07 AM, Blogger Menshevik said…

    ad No. 1:
    Hey, Doc Manhattan often went without pants in the comic, that's part of his charm!

    ad No. 2:
    "Taking it to the next level" has become such an overused buzz-term that I am reminded of "pro-active" and "a new paradigm" and of course of the Simpsons episode with Poochie where an "Itchy & Scratchy" exec got fired for pointing out the emptyness of those buzz-words...

     
  • At July 28, 2008 8:56 AM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    "The Next Level" for Millar means more giant dudes being buried under a tarp, I guess.

     
  • At July 28, 2008 8:57 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    With a butt like that, they should induct him into the Green Lantern Corp. He already meets their most stringent requirement!

    But, I am with you on Mark Millar. His "Ultimizing" of the Marvel Universe via Civil War is what drove me away from Marvel in the first place. I have no desire to return if it is only going to GET WORSE! The '90's were a terrifying time. I can't believe that anybody is nostalgic for extreeeeeeeme already.

     
  • At July 28, 2008 9:42 AM, Blogger Jer said…

    I'm with menshevik - the phrase "take it to the next level" is meaningless execu-hype that could mean just about anything.

    However, if Millar is correct and the Ultimate books are "charting the course" for the future of the Marvel line, I may not have to bother ever worrying about going back to the Marvel "616" books again. If they're just going to become more and more like the "Ultimate" books, and that seems to be what the fans want, then I'm done. That's too bleak. It's like these guys read Watchmen as a how-to manual or something.

    Man, maybe I'm just too old for this crap anymore.

     
  • At July 29, 2008 12:01 PM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    Whenever anyone says "take it to the next level," I kinda want to kick their ass.

    To the next level.

     
  • At July 30, 2008 11:34 AM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    Mark Millar wrote a few genuinely good Superman stories in the late '90s and subsequently let success go to his head.

    I have yet to read anything by him not involving the Big Blue Boy Scout that wasn't "x-treem" tripe.

    This, this is why I'm a DC fan.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home