Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, January 02, 2011

In Search for a Blog Post

I was trying to build up the energy for a good hate post, because nothing is more fun to me than spewing vitriol at people who don't exist, but oddly I haven't been able to.

I can't really think of any character at this moment that I particularly hate right now. Dick Grayson, much as I hate to admit it, has been downright likeable for a long time. (I credit Damian for this, because Dick is, I think, at his best when he's concerned with taking care of someone else. It's when he's alone and self-focused that his wangsty tendencies shine.)

There are characters that irritate me a bit. For example, Stephanie Brown. I mean, I get the appeal, but I've always preferred a higher level of competence in my superheroes. But I do like that she owns her inabilities and works hard to improve. So I find it hard to spew forth hate on her. She's the little engine that could. (That said, I still liked Cass Cain a lot more as Batgirl.)

I suppose there's Professor Xavier, but I've never really felt the need for a full on hate post for him when there are countless examples in the comics of him either yelling at his foster son for not wanting to go on a mission so he can be with his convalescent fiancee, accusing Scott of being a terrible leader, or leaving a kid in an abuse situation because he isn't useful at the time. (Yes, all these examples are Scott centered. I'm a fangirl) It's hard to make a good hate post when really, Xavier does everything for me.

Oh wait. I do hate Gambit. I hate Gambit a lot.

Okay, well, there's tomorrow's post then. Gambit hate! Yay!

5 Comments:

  • At January 02, 2011 10:57 AM, Blogger Elayne said…

    "...nothing is more fun to me than spewing vitriol at people who don't exist..." I never did quite understand this, but I suppose it's better than spewing vitriol at the real people who created the imaginary ones!

     
  • At January 02, 2011 1:12 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Oh I don't know...a little Winick bashing always makes me feel better.

    Gambit is a good choice. As is Jade or Geo-Force.

     
  • At January 02, 2011 2:46 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Elayne:

    Because most of the time what causes me to dislike a character persists between a string of writers.

    It's the joy of a shared universe, really. One writer might just be bad writing, but two or more starts indicating that it's the character concept.

    Besides, it's part of the fun.

     
  • At January 03, 2011 9:03 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    I bash Winick, JMS, Joe Q, and many more in my next post, ETA tomorrow.

     
  • At January 04, 2011 2:33 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Always fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home