Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, September 19, 2008

Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, a Showcase:

Okay, people might have realized by now that I'm very much a fan of Nick Fury. Well recently, I've had the chance to sit down and read some of the very first issues of Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos. You know, the ones before someone finally clued the colorist in on the fact that Gabe Jones was supposed to be African-American? (Fortunately they do fix that eventually.)

Well anyway, I've discovered an intriguing trend regarding the early issues.

This is from Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos Issue #1:



Nick Fury! Injured and half naked!

From Issue #2:



Nick Fury! Running and half naked!

Issue #3:



Nick Fury! Grenade throwing and...half naked!

Issue #4:



Nick Fury! Fondling a gun and...half naked! Now it's just getting silly!

Issue #5:



Nick Fury! Sword fighting and half naked! Because he can!

Issue #6:



Nick Fury! Smirking and...well, you know.

Issue #7:



You know, I'm starting to suspect that this series is entirely just one giant excuse to draw Nick Fury half naked.

...

I love this series.

Plus, as a special bonus: Half-naked Fantastic Four cover Nick Fury! Complete with helpful arrow just in case we wouldn't recognize him in so many shreds of clothing!



Because I love you all.

6 Comments:

  • At September 19, 2008 6:56 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    And now he tortures his own troops in order to "train" them. Yay for comics!

     
  • At September 19, 2008 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This series objectifies Nick Fury!

    And that's terrible.

     
  • At September 19, 2008 11:06 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Oh hell yeah, Nick Fury was always running around wearing the shredded remnants of a uniform. I imagine that he must have managed to go through a uniform a DAY. The Quartermaster must have hated his guts.

     
  • At September 19, 2008 7:03 PM, Blogger Brainfreeze said…

    Hm, I should ask my brother if he still has any of his old Howling Commandos comics. He usually read Sgt. Rock (who, iirc, tended to keep all his clothes on) but I think he had some of Nick as well.

     
  • At September 20, 2008 11:12 PM, Blogger Riddering said…

    My favorite Nick Fury image remains to this day that of the man crashing through a wall--shirtless, on a motorcycle, blasting off guns in both hands, and smoking a cigar.

    Because, as you have shown here, an image like that is why humanity created the word iconic.

    (As I recall, Sgt. Rock seems to prefer a bit of revealing cleavage over Fury's exhibitionist complete upper-nudity.)

     
  • At January 13, 2013 10:39 PM, Anonymous ImprobableHero said…

    It's been years since I read a comic book. But I used to have many of the Howling Commando's and later Nick Fury as head of Shield. He does at least seem to end every fight shirtless, amkes me wonder ifthey got the idea for Capt kirk from Nick Fury.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home