Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thing I Thought After Rereading JSA 17

Something that occurred to me while rereading Justice Society #17.

Sand's life sucks.

I mean, okay, Gog's going around granting wishes/fixing everyone's problems.

You have the characters whose problems are small and easily fixed a.la Cyclone's monkey and Stargirl needing to be reminded of her awesomeness.

You have the characters with some sort of physical ailment (seemingly) permanently impaired: Mid-Nite's sight, Damage's face, Thom's insanity.

You have Power Girl being sent to her home dimension.

You have the characters that Gog seemingly can't hear: Mr. Terrific, Citizen Steel, which sucks in its own way but still...

But as for Sand? Who Gog CAN hear?

He gets a nap!

I'm not saying he didn't really need it. Or that he won't appreciate it. But my major reaction is still:

That's how you know your life sucks.

But it was cute how Dr. Mid-Nite settled him nice and comfy against the tree. Aw.

6 Comments:

  • At July 13, 2008 5:42 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Cyclone has a monkey?

    Also I really wish they'd just gone with calling her Red Tornado III...

     
  • At July 13, 2008 8:08 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    She gained a monkey, but lost half her costume in the process. Seriously, it went from floor length to borderline panty-shots to me.

     
  • At July 13, 2008 11:43 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Aw heck, I was just glad to SEE Sandy. I hope he enjoys his nap.

    I have to admit I was getting a tiny bit bored with this story line, but it is starting to get interesting.

     
  • At July 13, 2008 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't like the Mister Terrific scene much. It read like dialogue written by a person who's never spoken to an intelligent atheist in his life. Johns' written him well before, so I'll be patient with this character arch, but I really hope it doesn't turn into Michael "filling that God-shaped hole in his heart".

    Can't we have one pop culture atheist who's not either a self-centred misanthropic prick or a tragic soul who's "mad at God"?

    -Phil

     
  • At July 14, 2008 11:54 AM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    I think the "overwrought atheist" bit is just a cover to keep Mr. Terrific distracted so cannot figure out what I (who am not nearly close to the third smartest person alive) could see coming a mile away.

    Mr. Terrific cannot be seen by machines.

    Gog cannot be Mr. Terrific.

    Therefore . . .

     
  • At July 25, 2008 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As an atheist, it bugged me for a long time that Mr. Terrific could be an atheist at all in the DC Universe...but this storyline sort of illustrates HOW he can be.

    Every time an immensely powerful character shows up either able to create/destroy the universe...they get beaten down by the heroes and pretty much provem to be exactly what they don't say. There have been occasions of religions in the DC Universe that have been proven to be nothing more than manipulation by similar powerful beings.

    As someone taking part or aware of such things, I think it would be pretty logical to assume that ANYONE claiming to be the creator/destroyer of the universe would need to be taken with a grain of salt.

    As for Gog, he might be a being that is 'powered' by belief or somesuch. Not necessarily belief in his own being...but by belief in general and that beings like Mr. Terrific are actually below his notice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home