Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, July 11, 2008

Heh

I have to admit, my first reaction to this news was "WHAT?!" Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes?!

Then it occurred to me, that in much the same way that Robert Downey Jr. made a perfect Iron Man, he could also probably make a perfect Sherlock Holmes.

I mean, on one hand, Downey is an actor with substance abuse problems and fairly undeniable talent playing Tony Stark: a self-absorbed playboy with substance abuse problems and undeniable genius.

And on the other hand, Sherlock Holmes is a self-absorbed egotist with substance abuse problems and undeniable genius.

Both Tony and Holmes also have long suffering best friends (or a few in Tony's case) as well.

Thinking about it? I can see it.

How well does he pull of an English accent?

6 Comments:

  • At July 11, 2008 8:43 AM, Blogger Nick said…

    I think Guy Ritchie will get the tone of a Sherlock movie right, casting rumors aside.

    I can certainly get more behind this then the Sherlock Holmes "comedy" that Judd Apatow is doing with Will Farrell as Watson and Sasha Baron Cohen as Sherlock...the mere idea makes me wanna almost gouge my eyes out.

     
  • At July 11, 2008 9:40 AM, Blogger running42k said…

    I seem to recall Holmes using opium in one story, so yes, Downey Jr is the perfect person to play Holmes.

     
  • At July 11, 2008 11:40 AM, Blogger Tucker Stone said…

    Check downey's accent in Resoration. Pretty fantastic.

     
  • At July 11, 2008 1:15 PM, Blogger Anthony Strand said…

    He also does a terrific British accent in "Chaplin".

     
  • At July 13, 2008 11:44 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    But...but I'm still in love with Jeremy Brett.

     
  • At July 14, 2008 3:50 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    Holmes used cocaine regularly (read the opening of "The Sign of Four") as a stimulant. Cocaine was highly regarded by many in the late 19th-century medical community, including Sigmund Freud. So Holmes's use of it was not as shocking to Doyle's readers as was Watson's averse reaction to it (stranger, as Watson was a medical doctor). It did shock my teenage self reading the Holmes stories for the first time, at this dissonance between Doyle's Holmes and the white-washed version used in Star Trek and animated series.

    Holmes frequently went into opium dens incognito to pursue a lead, but to my recollection never actually "chased the dragon".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home