Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Reminiscings

Something that always befuddles me when I stop and think about it, is how I never got into superhero comics until the beginning of 2005. I was alive more than two decades before I'd ever realized that this genre was the one for me! Considering how much I love superhero comics now, it's mind boggling to me that it took so long.

Especially since, when I look at my favorite sorts of television shows, movies and books now, I realize that the exact same elements I've loved about them were always prevalent in superhero comics and I was too silly to notice.

I mean take soap operas for example. I loved them for the convoluted history, insane melodrama, rampant retcons, and the occasional tendancy of a meglomaniac to try to take over the world with a fabrige egg.

It's one of many signs that I was destined to be a superhero comics fan.

Recently I found another one. See, I was digging through my old piles of crap back home for spring break and I found my lovely collection of Man From UNCLE tapes which I promptly brought back up to school to inflict on my very good friend who is rather used to me forcing insane hobbies down his throat by now.

Anyway, my collection's fairly small, scattered across the four seasons. I'd gotten them on a stroke of luck. I'd gone to the video store to ask if they had any to rent, and it turned out that through some complicated reasons that amounted to no one wanting to rent them, I got to buy them cheap! Go me!

Ah, how I adore the show. Everything from the snazzy names (you try not being cool with a name like Napoleon Solo) and the espionage, the crazy plots with things like exploding hula girls and microdot laden tobacco containers, and that time Illya Kuryakin had to wear a turban and play a lute so they could find the secret computer leaking UNCLE information to the eeevil THRUSH.

And that's not getting into all the explosions, implausible technology with all its lit-up buttons, unlikely fight scenes, the hanging upside from meat hooks in a freezer, the death traps and that one episode that starred William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy before Star Trek came about...

Oh, and how even though there was a fair prevalence of fairly annoying female characters, there was usually at least one entertaining girl-character each episode that was worth watching too. Even if they usually wound up in the death trap too. :-)

Such a wonderful show.

But thinking about it now, all the things I loved best about the show were probably indicators that I ought to have been reading superhero comics back then too. Oh well, better late than never.

5 Comments:

  • At March 15, 2008 6:31 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I luffed wrestling which is like soap operas! :D

    I avoided comics mostly b/c of the 90s when my friends were into them and a lot of stuff they showed me just made me go >_<;; And all the bad girl art and stuff they adored. And just.. I knew absolutely nothing about it and it was just like from what I knew it was ick to me. :\

    The first comic I picked up that got me back into it was when I found out that Supergirl was back (the Superman/Batman arc)! :D Of course what happened after was... better not spoken of. :o But I got into it rly recently TOO! :O

    I think that you had all those indicators were rly cool :D I wonder what I had.. :o Besides that I could stand the craziness that is wrestling :o (and the use of women as smex objects *gasp* :O DESTINED XD) I always wished that since it was scripted and stuff, that there'd be more women shown as being able to fight with the men but that never rly happened to the degree I hoped :( Superhero comics however offered that possiblity which is another thing that attracted me :D Esp once I found out that they brought Supergirl back! :D But... then Kelly and Churchill happened >_>

    I liked Man from UNCLE too :D But I didn't get to watch enuf of it. :(

    I think one of the charms of superhero comics for me IS the convoluted history, rampant retcons and insanity like that :D I munno why XD But it can be fun XD But I'm weird :O

    Sry for the edits :( Delete again? :D <3

     
  • At March 15, 2008 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I grew up watching all the animated shows (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.) but I rarely read the comics themselves. I sporadically read X-Men, Deadpool, Thor, Batman Adventures, Young Justice and a few others, but never on a regular basis.

    I already had a love for the characters, but the books seemed kind of hard to get started with. It was actually a combination comic blogs (including yours) and DC's One Year Later thingy that helped me get into it as a full-on hobby - or vice, depending on one's perspective.

    -Phil

     
  • At March 15, 2008 10:54 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Have I ever pointed out that you have VERY good taste? I remember the Man from UNCLE. Hell, I'm old enough that I watched the episodes on television as a kid.

    I had a terrible crush on Ilya Kuryakin.

     
  • At March 16, 2008 3:40 AM, Blogger Mike Haseloff said…

    Noob!

     
  • At March 16, 2008 9:50 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    But a WELL-READ noob.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home