Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Winter Ramblings:

I've finally got around to reading the "Winter Soldier" one-shot (I seriously forgot that I bought it. How dumb is that?) I've always thought, rabid DC-fan that I am, Bucky's return as the Winter Soldier was miles beyond Jason Todd's return as the Red Hood.

I've been iffy about the Winter Soldier as a character though. I liked him as a concept and as a villain for Captain America (and he had probably my favorite voice acting in Ultimate Alliance, and I'm not entirely sure why I think that), but I had no idea what they'd be doing with him after the resolution of that storyline.

Now I really, really want a Winter Soldier ongoing. Seriously. I like Bucky as an anti-hero. He's very gray but not conscienceless, and there's a nice sense of dry humor.

That and it was frickin' awesome when he plucked one of Hawkeye's arrows and threw it into the terrorist's throat. I'm not one for heroes killing in general, but a stylish anti-hero...I can go for that.

I really liked his interaction with Young Avengers. And a part of me really really wants him to become their mentor now. Because it'd be awesome. And will probably have a lot of 40s-modern day culture incongruities that make me smile. And there'd be all the moralistic conflict between a slightly homicidal mentor and kids with a lot more of a traditional heroic moral scale.

It'd be generation gap, culture shock, and moral discontinuity all in one!

Besides, he's kind of hot.

Pun unintended.

And I still love Namor. Because he's got the same personality as my cat. And this makes me happy.

8 Comments:

  • At January 07, 2007 12:06 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said…

    I'll admit, the idea of Bucky not being dead seemed mildly stupid initially, but damn if Brubaker didn't make it work.

    And I really enjoyed the interaction between Namor and Winter at the end. It was kind of sweet.

     
  • At January 07, 2007 3:27 PM, Blogger Evan Waters said…

    Namor pretty much has the personality of all cats, no?

     
  • At January 07, 2007 5:17 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    Except Namor *likes* water.

     
  • At January 07, 2007 8:13 PM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    It was awesome in many ways, not the least that I'd support Brubaker doing Young Runaways now.

     
  • At January 08, 2007 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have to be a Marvel fan to appreciate that scene at the end with Namor, but damn if it didn't bring a tear to my eye.

     
  • At January 08, 2007 7:57 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    calvin: I had my doubts too. But honestly. I really really like him.

    I want to see him kick Jason Todd's ass though.

    evan: Yes. But my cat more than most.

    steve: My cat loved water. On her terms. She liked to perch at the edge of bathtubs and reach in. And would get terribly offended if one laughed when she fell in.

    ununnilium: I'd go for that. Especially if they threw in Bucky somehow. :-)

    dan: I may not be a Marvel fan, but I do have a thing for closure. :-) It was a nice scene!

     
  • At January 08, 2007 1:28 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Yes, Brubaker has been doing very well, and Winter Soldier was one of my favorite Marvel books. With the disaster that is Civil War going on, that number has been considerably diminished I fear.

    Oh, and yes, Bucky is on the cute side.

     
  • At January 14, 2007 4:06 AM, Blogger Carla said…

    Winter Soldier: Winter Kills was the best Holiday Issue of the year. Possibly ever.

    And I as well thought 'Oh, world really needed hardcore ninja ass Bucky back from the dead, jesus', but there is just something about Brubaker that turned what could ahve been the Red Hood into something special.

    And he sure is easy on the eyes...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home