Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Some non-spoilery comic reactions/musings:

My comic store didn't have Teen Titans 33 today. I'm sad and sulking. The other comics were good, but I'm behind in that series and I wanted to see...[/whine]

And 34 got pushed back, darnit.

The other comics were pretty nifty though. Especially liked BoP, I doubted we saw the end of a certain minor character before, and I'm glad I'm right. :-) Nightwing was okay, Dick still does nothing for me, even with Johns writing, oh well. I was hoping he'd have gotten over some of his issues, seems not though. I'm definitely not surprised that a certain recent development fizzled. Oh well. The Annual was fun, I liked the reflection back to Young Justice, even though I much prefer the Titans portrayal of the characters.

Infinite Crisis Secret Files was disappointing. It didn't feel like a Secret Files. I guess to me, the SF&O are supposed to be little self-contained sneak peek type stories that we don't normally get to see. A little bit of "behind the scenes" feel. They shouldn't be *necessary* to read. They should be added treats.

Like the Green Lantern 2005 one. Flight was a cute story, and the other one showing how Kyle learned about Parallax was nifty. Neither story was particularly necessary for Rebirth or the current Green Lantern storyline, but they were neat to read.

Infinite Crisis felt like they just didn't feel like making the IC mini-series 8 issues long. And to be honest, I don't care about the characters well enough. I'm sure others disagree, but I wouldn't mind seeing them go far, far away. The sooner the better.

Watching Superboy Prime watching Kon was interesting, especially the notion expressed that Kon was Superboy's counterpart, for all that he's "Clark Kent." It reminded me of my own thought in Infinite Crisis 5. Earth 2-Diana Prince/Wonder Woman isn't really *Diana's* counterpart, she's Hippolyta's. Their dignity, presence, and the way they interacted with Diana is the same. I liked that.

I still want Hippolyta back.

GL:C looks like a blast...and 52 is going to eat into my wallet like mad. Should be fun though. Each subsequent cover of Ion looks better too. June's has Mogo! Can't wait!

I might post something with more substance later. Probably not.

8 Comments:

  • At March 16, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said…

    Was the Birds of Prey a One Year Later issue?

     
  • At March 16, 2006 2:27 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yep! Good issue. Some WTF moments, in a good way. :-) Might do a more in depth essay and/or review a couple of days from now.

     
  • At March 16, 2006 7:24 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    Infinite Crisis SF&O'06 was one Hell of a long book to tell me nothing new whatsoever.

     
  • At March 16, 2006 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Secret Files had a different effect on me.

    It gave me a lot more sympathy for superboy.

    Watching him yelling at the "universe" (because thats what the crystals really are) because it keeps showing him the natural progression of things. His parents die, in his world they died in our's they died.

    It brings to light a good point though. Superboy, E-2 Superman, and Alex all have the same problem.

    They can't accept things change.

    Superboy never "changed" from boy to man and never got to accept loss in his life. Superman can't accept Lois is just old and dying. And Alex can't accept there's nothing left for him to do, he refuses to believe his heaven and eternal peace are a good thing.

    Most telling is the shot where E-2 superman asks after giving so much whats the universe going to do for them. But in the back ground you see not just E-2 punching Anti-monitor, but also Spectre, and Flash and Habringer and others who all had roles to play.

    They're taking they're anger at the idea of change and blowing it out of control. They're ego's also become inflated giving them a higher sense of acomplishment, even though it had always been a team effort.

    It wasn't exactly needed as we all pretty much knew this but it's nice to know how it developed.

     
  • At March 16, 2006 9:12 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    jon: Yeah, that's a problem with Johns. While I tend to enjoy his character work and stories, his pacing tends to be less than ideal...often I think the same story could be told in quite a bit fewer issues without losing the really good bits.

    mallet: I find Superboy more pathetic than sympathetic really...but then unlike gender stereotypes, I'm not really known for feminine empathy. :-P

     
  • At March 16, 2006 10:09 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    Kal: ICSF&O'06 was aaaaall Wolfman. Though I do agree on Johns's characterizations. Those are all usually really, really solid; it's the stories that give me the "what the fuck?" moments.

     
  • At March 17, 2006 1:13 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    jon: heh, I stand corrected. :-)

    (I was thinking more the structure of IC in general though...could probably be done in 4 issues, I think. Just like Green Lantern could have.)

    I do think Johns is best with a co-writer though. Or at least someone who'll actually sit him down and say, "Do you really *need* to reiterate this point so many times? The reader already got it."

     
  • At March 19, 2006 11:53 PM, Blogger Hale of Angelthorne said…

    Please tell me TT#33 doesn't suck nearly as cosmically hard as #32 did.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home